Submitting a blog or article on a directory submission site is one of the most effective ways to create high-quality backlinks to your website. The ranking of a website can be improved by including quality backlinks in the website.
What is directory submission?
Directory Submission is a process where a URL or a website link is submitted to a web directory under a particular category. It is one of the important parts of off-page SEO. It helps in improving a website’s ranking over the web.
Directory submission sites are like telephone directories that store your business information. You should submit your blog or article in a directory under a relevant category, to gain a backlink. By increasing link-building results, the SEO of your website will improve. Directories provide links to other websites. This helps to increase the DA, PA, PR, trust factor, organic search ranking, etc.
Your blogs or articles will be indexed on search engine lists by submitting them on top directory submission sites. This will further attract more website traffic. You can submit your website to another website through these directories. Every directory has a few guidelines to be followed, like title, description, keywords, category, email, URL, and others.
Directory submissions sites are categorised into the following types.
Types of directory submission sites:
- Free Directory Submission sites– They are the free versions of directory sites. Acceptance of such free sites is sometimes not confirmed. So selecting them to submit a website/ build backlinks will take some time to process.
- Paid Directory Submission sites– They are the paid versions of directory sites. On payment of a certain amount, you will receive a backlink within 24 Hours.
- Reciprocal Directory Submission sites– A reciprocal link refers to the process of exchange of a link between two websites. Such reciprocal links are created to provide a backlink. To get instant approval of a directory submission site, you may include more backlinks to your website.
- Automatic Directory Submission site– Through this, you can submit your web URL using a tool or software. Search Engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. do not support manipulative ranking activities.
- DoFollow Directory Submission site- These sites help your blogs and articles rank higher on SERPs. DoFollow backlinks help in ranking higher and also increase web traffic.
Benefits of web directory submission:
Directory submission is one of the most effective and easiest off-page SEO techniques. So many bloggers and SEO experts make use of this technique. Below are listed some benefits of directory submission:
- Generating backlinks– Directory submission helps in link building and improving search engine ranking. Search engines will rank your website and blog based on links created.
- Better search engine ranking- Your website will get good exposure by listing it in top directories. This will, in turn, attract links and improve your search engine ranking.
- Higher website traffic– The use of relevant keywords will improve your Directory submission. This will pass on a target group to your website thus improving website traffic.
- Page indexing- Search engines will provide page indexing by using directory submission. After you submit your blog/ article, the search engine will start finding your website using the backlinks created. In case, your website does not appear in the top position of the search engine page, then it will send a targeted audience to your website.
- Enhance link popularity– Directory submission is an essential part of off-page SEO, as it can generate high-quality backlinks. Search engines consider the number of backlinks created. It has become an effective method for SEO ranking and link diversity. Always select the right DA sites or high PR sites to submit your piece of work.
Directory submission process:
Submission of a website link to a directory is an easy process if you understand the process well. Let us look at the steps of web directory submission:
- Go through the instructions and guidelines mentioned on the submission page.
- Select the most suitable from a list of popular directory submission sites. Some popular directory submission sites are Entireweb Directory, IntelSeek.com, etc.
- Now select a suitable category for your blog niche. For example, you have written a blog having fashion-related content. The best suitable category to select is “Fashion”.
- Fill in all the details mentioned in the submission form like URL, title, and description.
- Mention your name and email ID for future reference.
- Recheck the page before clicking to submit. Your content is ready for submission.
- Wait for the confirmation message to check the status of the submission of your blog.
Do’s and Don’ts of Directory submission sites:
Following are some factors which you must look upon so that you submit your blogs and articles to good directory submission sites.
- Always select well-known directories to submit your blog content. They can generate higher website traffic and good quality backlinks.
- Select relevant keywords for your anchor text but avoid their overuse. You can use tools like SEMrush or Keyword Planner to find out relevant keywords. Avoid being repetitive with the relevant words against every link. Use variations in the keyword usage.
- The directory submission site you select should provide a list of unique categories. Also, check the DA of the directory before submission.
- Always opt for an appropriate and to-the-point title and description. Include the focus keyword in your title.
- Check whether the website is already listed in the directory.
- Prefer quality over quantity while building links. Links from high PR directories drive more website traffic to your website.
- Keep a track of your website approval status. Free directory submission sites may approve your site immediately. Other sites will charge you for directory submission.
- Document your work to keep an eye on your site performance. This will help you to know whether your SEO strategies are working in your favour or not.
- Avoid directory submission sites that use the “rel=no follow” technique for your link. This technique will not help in the optimization campaigns. Search engines sometimes do not even consider redirects for backlinks.
- Keep your website away from bad neighbours, free-for-all (FFA) links sites or link farms.
- Avoid submitting your blog to such sites which do not approve the blog without reviewing it manually.
- Avoid submission of mirror sites. Such sites contain similar content but different URLs.
- Some directories do not accept sites more than once a month. In such a case, an error will pop up saying “Domain already exists”. You can select a different category for such blogs and then submit it again.
- Avoid submitting the same URL more than once.
- Avoid submission of sites that redirect to another address.
- Do not submit your site in a directory if you find an “under construction notice” or “incomplete site” notice.
300+ Free Directory Submission Sites List
Directory submissions act as an effective tool for off-page SEO optimization. Check the directory submission site whether your page is indexed or not. Fill in all appropriate details like contact details, images, descriptions, and others. Directory submission is not a small process and takes some time to show results. It has several benefits but the major benefit is to create high-quality backlinks for a new website. It raises the Domain Authority (DA), SERPs, website traffic, and others.
Directory submission also helps your website gain higher visibility. Avoid submitting your site to various directories. Rather choose the best directories for improving SEO results.